La Leche League (pronounced la LAY-chay), or LLL, is a nonprofit, nonpolitical, and nonsectarian organization recognized as an authority on breastfeeding around the world. LLL was founded in 1956 by seven women who wanted to make breastfeeding easier and more rewarding for both mother and child. The organization offers information and encouragement–primarily through personal help from accredited Leaders–to those women who want to breastfeed their babies.
La Leche League International’s (LLLI) mission is to help mothers worldwide to breastfeed through mother-to-mother support, encouragement, information, and education, and to promote a better understanding of breastfeeding as an important element in the healthy development of the baby
Through a network of accredited volunteer “Leaders”. Leaders have breastfed their own babies and been specially trained to help mothers with breastfeeding. They keep up-to-date through continued training and studies of the most current medical research on breastfeeding.
La Leche League is active in 60 countries, reaching more than 100,000 mothers monthly. LLL International is a Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) in consultative status with UNICEF, is an NGO in official relations with the World Health Organization (WHO), is an accredited member of the US Healthy Mothers/Healthy Babies Coalition, and is a founding member of the World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action (WABA).
La Leche League offers breastfeeding support and information through:
- Monthly discussion groups
- Help from experienced Leaders
- Lending library with books on breastfeeding, childbirth, parenting, and nutrition.
- LLL breastfeeding information sheets and pamphlets.
- Books for sale, including our book, The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. This book offers practical help, such as how often to nurse, how long at each feeding, and how to increase milk supply.
- More than 50 years experience providing mother-to-mother help.
- New Beginnings, a bimonthly electronic magazine for parents.
- LLL International’s award-winning informational website.
Whether you never breastfed, breastfeed your baby 6 days, 6 weeks, 6 months, a year or longer, you’ll find LLL groups supportive and informative.
You can find more information about La Leche League International at http://www.llli.org
What happens at LLL groups?
Our Monthly groups discuss:
- Breastfeeding: The Healthy Choice
- At Home With Your New Baby
- Art of Breastfeeding & Avoiding Difficulties
- Nutrition & Weaning
- LLL groups have informal discussions or cafes
- Mothers bring their questions and concerns about breastfeeding.
There is also a planned topic of discussion that covers the practical, physical, and psychological aspects of breastfeeding.
Children are always welcome.
What is a La Leche League Leader?
La Leche League Leaders are experienced mothers who are accredited by La Leche League International to help mothers and mothers-to-be with all aspects of breastfeeding. La Leche League Leaders are available for phone calls whenever a mother has breastfeeding questions that cannot wait until the next meeting.
We are happy to talk with you, so please don’t hesitate to call! All breastfeeding help is completely confidential. Since we are mothers, as well as volunteers, working from our own homes, we do appreciate your efforts to time your calls accordingly.
Who are La Leche League Members?
Members of La Leche League care about giving their babies breastmilk. Mothers who become members breastfeed longer because LLLI has developed a worldwide network of caring mothers with experience who share information, support, and encouragement. With a LLL Membership the benefits also include:
The $25 Supporting Membership includes:
- Meeting new people in the Dubuque area community and gaining self-confidence as you learn from other mothers.
- Providing funds for our breastfeeding helpline, pamphlets, postage, and continuing education for Leaders.
- Ensuring that breastfeeding support will continue to be available for future breastfeeding mothers!
- A one-year electronic subscription to the bimonthly New Beginnings, the only magazine devoted entirely to breastfeeding filled with inspiration, practical hints, book reviews, and breastfeeding information.
The $40 Regular Membership includes, in addition to the above benefits:
- The most recent edition of The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, a wonderful addition to your personal library, a handy reference tool, and makes a great baby gift!
If you are interested in becoming a LLL Member, please consider joining locally to ensure that part of your donation remains here for local breastfeeding support. Help from a LLL leader is always free but it’s never free to provide help and outreach.
Please contact a Leader if you are interested in joining to support LLL of Dubuque.
La Leche League is a nonprofit organization entirely supported by donations, memberships and sales of materials.
All donations to La Leche League are 100% tax-deductible.